Monday, February 20, 2017

What's Your February/March 2017 Workout Routine?

BEACHBODY WORKOUTS. JOG/RUN. LIFT. CYCLE.

My current workout routine centers around my current 2 goals: (1) Build muscle, and (2) Prepare for my May/June races; Semper5ive and Tough Mudder, respectively. Another bit about me...I thoroughly enjoy checklists and plans. For that reason, I utilize routines that are laid out for me with specific dates and/or schedules built in.

I'm currently in Week 3 of the T25 Gamma schedule. I complete these workouts 5x/week. Depending on my work schedule, I may double up 2 workouts in a day to make sure between Sunday and Saturday I get all 5 workouts in. Sometimes it rolls into the next week. Not a big deal (to me) as long as they never roll into a third week. I also do a majority of these workouts with 2 coworkers during our lunch break or after work. So while this is probably a part of my routine I could drop, it's fun to workout with coworkers and keep one another motivated.

For my jog/runs I follow the C210K app (aka Couch to 10K). The routines for the C210K app include warm-up and cool-down walks with run/walk intervals in between. The run time increases each week, until you're no longer walking at all. A week consists of 3 runs. I chose to do my runs this way so I don't get bored. While I can run 3+ mi now without stopping, I'd get bored doing that from now until my races PLUS once a run is complete, I get to check it off (in the app). #WINNING! On occasion I'll go off plan and just run without intervals.

 I lift 4-5x / week, targeting a specific area of the body each time. If I get a 5th lift in, it's either a second Leg day or a second Shoulders day. I'd say my weakest area right now is legs, so that's the one I SHOULD be doubling up on but Leg days are rough to complete 2x/ week with runs...& cycle class, for me anyways.

 Last thing I've been doing is cycle classes, and this is mostly because I teach it. I primarily teach once per week, and occasionally 2 or 3 times. I try getting to cycle classes outside of where I teach. Not only to get in more cardio, but to see how other instructors teach and pick up on cue and instruction ideas. Getting to other classes is a bonus though and not on my weekly requirement list.

So that's the routine for now. If I were to make a prediction of how this would change if I were in bikini prep mode, I'd imagine less cardio and most rest days. Since I have the races to train for, cutting/minimizing cardio won't be on my agenda until after June, at which point in time I'll OFFICIALLY start bikini prep, which will give me about 15-18 weeks of prep time (depending on which competition I decide to do). I'll update you the next time I change my routine!

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment